Monday 27 May 2013

Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle



Excuse me for a few minutes if I may. If I seem biased about this, it's because I am. I have liked Laura for a few years now. Since her Noah and the Whale days and especially her debut album 'Alas I cannot swim' which still to this day is one of my favourite albums.

‘Take the night off’ is a great opening track. It has a sound like it could have come from her 2nd album ‘I speak because I can’. Her usual catchy melodies come to the fore in this opener. 

The song ‘I was an eagle’ really takes you in and screams put me on repeat even if just for the line ‘Chance or circumstance or romance, Or any man who could get his dirty little hands on me’ After first listen of the album, I think this is my favourite track.

Marling has perfected her sound on this record.  Not like she needed to but she has matured since the last album. Evident in the first single ‘Master Hunter’, which in my opinion is very Dylan-esque.

I can see myself listening to this 10 more times in the next few days, hearing and feeling different things every time.  I could comment on every song here. They are all worth talking about but I’ll let you take it all in yourself.

As with everything Marling has done before, the big thing that stands out is how personal the songs are to her. She really knows how to get into character for each song. All to show you how this album should be listened to.

In the album closer ‘Saved these words’ you can hear the influence that Marcus Mumford had on her.  Altogether it’s quite a special album. Different but the same.
Let me know what you think of it…

Once I was an eagle can be bought from iTunes and Amazon

* 9/10 

Pat
IMBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment